Figures were released this week regarding the rollout of Universal Credit in Leicester East. Universal Credit has been introduced by the Government to combine the existing benefits payments into one single payment.
The keys statistics from Leicester East are below
- The total number of unemployed claimants in Leicester East constituency in September 2018 was 1,220.
- This represents a rate of 2.3% of the economically active population aged 16-64.
- The equivalent UK claimant rate was 2.9%. The UK unemployment rate, which includes people not claiming benefits and is estimated from survey data, was 4.0% in June to August 2018.
- The number of claimants in Leicester East constituency is 150 higher than September 2017 and 45 higher than August 2018.
- There were 250 claimants aged 18-24 in September 2018, 25 higher than September 2017.